Potential benefits of probiotics have been seen in the treatment or prevention of:
- irritable bowel syndrome
- ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- H. pylori (the cause of ulcers)
- vaginal infections
- urinary tract infections
- recurrence of bladder cancer
- infection of the digestive tract
- pouchitis (a possible side effect of surgery that removes the colon)
- eczema in children.
Health benefits of probiotics:
1) Probiotics may help you lose weight and belly fat. In particular, studies have found that certain strains of the Lactobacillus family can help you lose weight and belly fat. In one study, eating yogurt with Lactobacillus fermentum or Lactobacillus amylovorus reduced body fat by 3–4% over 6 weeks.
2) Can help keep your heart healthy. Probiotics may help keep your heart healthy by lowering LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and blood pressure. Certain lactic acid-producing bacteria may reduce cholesterol by breaking down bile in the gut. Bile, a naturally occurring fluid mostly made of cholesterol, helps digestion. By breaking down bile, probiotics can prevent it from being reabsorbed in the gut, where it can enter the blood as cholesterol.
3) Probiotics are widely known for their ability to prevent diarrhea or reduce its severity. It can help treat diarrhea.
4) Improve some mental health conditions. An increasing number of studies link gut health to mood and mental health. Both animal and human studies find that probiotic supplements can improve some mental health disorders. Who doesn't want to be in a good mental state?!
5) Help balance the friendly bacteria in your digestive system. These benefits are thought to result from the ability of probiotics to restore the natural balance of gut bacteria.
6) Probiotics may help give your immune system a boost and inhibit the growth of harmful gut bacteria. Also, some probiotics have been shown to promote the production of natural antibodies in the body.
7) Probiotics may help with weight loss through a number of different mechanisms. For example, some probiotics prevent the absorption of dietary fat in the intestine. The fat is then excreted through feces rather than stored in the body. Probiotics may also help you feel fuller for longer, burn more calories and store less fat. This is partly caused by increasing levels of certain hormones.
8) Probiotics can help prevent or treat diarrhea caused by infections or antibiotics. Probiotics can improve systems of irritable bowel syndrome. Probiotics can boost the immune system. Probiotics can reduce inflammation and allergies.
Signs Your Probiotics Are Working
When you take a high-quality probiotic supplement
, you may notice several positive changes in your body, ranging from improved digestion and more energy, to improved mood and clearer skin. Oftentimes, the first and most immediate change individuals notice is improved digestion. So get yourself a good probiotic and reap these benefits!